Red Devils officials were irate after the 37-year-old went public Sunday to air his grievances about the club and manager Erik ten Hag, according to ESPN’s Rob Dawson.
Manchester United addressed the controversial interview Monday, saying that they’re still considering their response.
“Manchester United notes the media coverage regarding an interview by Cristiano Ronaldo,” read a short statement.
“The club will consider its response after the full facts have been established.
“Our focus remains on preparing for the second half of the season and continuing the momentum, belief, and togetherness being built among the players, manager, staff, and fans.”
The timing of the interview was especially bothersome for the team, considering that his remarks were released hours after Manchester United scored deep into stoppage time Sunday to beat Fulham.
It was Ronaldo’s claim that he was being forced out of Old Trafford last summer that club officials heavily disputed. They contest that it was Ronaldo and his camp who were actively seeking a transfer away from United, sources told Dawson.
Manchester United and Ten Hag repeatedly said throughout the summer that Ronaldo, whose contract expires next summer, would be part of plans for the 2022-23 season.
Additionally, Ronaldo’s comments about the club’s training facility were also contested after he claimed that hardly anything had been updated in the years since his first stint at the club ended in 2009.
However, Dawson reports that the pool, canteen, and recovery areas have all been renovated. And the club has also spent over £200,000 to construct an analysis and meeting room for Ten Hag.
Last month, Ronaldo was dropped from the squad after refusing to come on as a substitute against Tottenham. He was forced to train alone and miss a Premier League game against Chelsea before being reinstated.
It’s understood that some United officials have perceived Ronaldo’s scathing comments as a way for him to potentially engineer a transfer away when the January transfer window opens.